UW Continuum College Instructor Resources

Self-Paced (Quarter Start) Courses

Viewing your Class List

  1. Go to MyUW: https://my.uw.edu/
  2. Log in with your UW NetID and password to reach the MyUW main page.
  3. Click the Teaching link on the left.
  4. Choose the quarter and course you would like to view.
  5. Under Course Materials, click the MyUWClass icon.

button with blue text stating my UW Class


Self-Paced Quarter Start courses are hosted by the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS). In addition to hosting content, instructors often use Canvas to share information with students, keep track of grades, and provide additional resources. Because students will also ask questions via Canvas, it is encouraged that instructors check the course Canvas site on a regular basis.

For information on Canvas training sessions and self paced training options, which cover topics such as navigating the user interface, uploading files to the course, and building content pages, please see our Training Page.


Mid-term and final exams for Self-Paced Quarter Start courses often require an online proctor. If you have any questions about setting up a proctored exam, please contact the UW PCE Registration Office at C2OL@uw.edu.


Online self-paced (quarterly start) courses follow all UW grading policies and procedures, which are summarized below. A resources section with links to relevant webpages follows.

Grading deadlines

Every student who has enrolled in a course must receive a grade for the quarter—even students who do not complete all assignments within the quarter. We discourage use of the X grade. If a student cannot complete the course within the quarter, please follow the Incomplete and extension process described below. The deadline for online grade submission is by 5:00 p.m. on the Tuesday following the final day of the quarter. Dates for each quarter are listed on the UW Academic Calendar.

Submitting grades

Instructors submit grades online using GradePage, which is accessed via MyUW and requires two-factor authentication. Canvas Gradebook may be used to track assignments, quizzes, papers, and other grades. These grades are then imported into GradePage, which is used to submit final grades. For questions about using GradePage or or Canvas Gradebook, contact UWC² IT at (206) 221-1393 or complete the support form in the Info & Help section of Canvas.

Changing grades

Grades that have already been submitted cannot be changed using GradePage. Instead, instructors must complete an online grade change form. For questions about changing grades, the UWC² Records office at c2rcrds@uw.edu.

Submitting grades late

Instructors should make every effort to submit grades by the deadline. In extenuating circumstances, however, late submissions can be submitted through the online grade change form. It will be two to four business days until the new grades appear on the student record.

Incompletes and extensions

An Incomplete is given only when the student has done satisfactory work during the first 80% of the course and has furnished proof satisfactory to the instructor that the work cannot be completed because of illness or other circumstances beyond the student’s control. For questions about Incompletes, please contact the UWC² Records office c2rcrds@uw.edu.

To obtain credit for the course, an undergraduate student must convert an Incomplete into a passing grade no later than the last day of the next quarter. For Spring Quarter, the following quarter is considered to be Fall Quarter. The student should never re-register for the course as a means of removing the Incomplete. An Incomplete grade not made up by the end of the next quarter is converted to the grade of 0.0 by the Office of the University Registrar unless the instructor has indicated, when assigning the Incomplete grade, that a grade other than 0.0 should be recorded if the incomplete work is not completed. The original Incomplete grade is not removed from the permanent record.

An instructor may approve an extension of the Incomplete removal deadline by writing to the UWC² Records office no later than the last day of the quarter following the quarter in which the Incomplete grade was assigned. Extensions, which may be granted for up to three additional quarters, must be received by the Office of the University Registrar before the Incomplete has been converted into a failing grade.

In no case can an Incomplete received by an undergraduate be converted to a passing grade after a lapse of one year. In no case shall an Incomplete on the record at the time a degree is granted be subsequently changed to any other grade.

An Incomplete grade does not count for registered hours nor in computation of grade-point averages.

Grade appeals

A student who believes that the instructor erred in the assignment of a grade, or who believes a grade recording error or omission has occurred, must pursue resolution no later than the end of the following quarter (not including Summer Quarter). The process involves up to two steps: first a discussion with the instructor, and second, failing resolution there, a written appeal within 10 days to the UWC² Records office.

Academic Misconduct

If academic misconduct, as outlined by the UW’s policies (WAC 478-121 and Student Governance and Policies Chapter 209), is suspected, please contact the UWC² Records office at c2rcrds@uw.edu. That office will consult with the Program Manager about how to proceed.

Access and Accommodations

If students have a temporary health condition or permanent disability that requires accommodations (conditions include but not limited to; mental health, attention-related, learning, vision, hearing, physical or health impacts), they are encouraged to contact Disability Resources for Students (DRS) as soon as they register for their course. It is the policy and practice of the University of Washington to create inclusive and accessible learning environments consistent with federal and state law.

Resources for Instructors